There’s only one way to appreciate what Abu Dhabi has to offer: strap yourself in for a whirlwind of fun.
Abu Dhabi is not the kind of city to pop into when transiting to another destination. Abu Dhabi is a destination unto itself and warrants at least a week to fully understand what makes it worthy of being the capital of the seven United Arab Emirates.
If bigger is better, then Abu Dhabi is the new Texas. Anything the locals produce or manufacture, naturally just has to be bigger and better than the previous biggest and best. The cosmopolitan metropolis offers first-class action and promises thrills unlikely to be found anywhere else in the world.
1. First up on the list of must-dos when visiting what is ultimately a massive playground, is a pit-stop at Ferrari World on Yas Island, where adrenaline junkies and Formula One fans alike, strap themselves in for several rides of their life. From the world’s fastest roller coaster, which sees Ferrari Formula One cars blast off and reach 240km an hour in 4.9 seconds, to G-Force — a ride which rockets thrill seekers 62 meters into the sky at 3.8Gs before plummeting back down to the ground Ferrari World will kick start even the faintest heartbeat.
2. Next on the to-do list, not too far away from Ferrari World is the site of the Formula1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: Yas Marina Circuit. Heat up the high-speed fun even more with an experience of a lifetime behind the wheel of a race car or sit passenger side in a modified Formula One car capable of reaching 300km an hour.
3. Depending on when you’re in town, you could catch one of the many international performers and bands that have had fans pouring onto Yas Island. Snoop Dog, Incubus, Stevie Wonder and Coldplay are only a few of the star-studded performers to grace Yas Island’s stages. Once sated with sound and speed, be sure to visit Al Forsan International Sports Resort and release all that extra energy at one of the best sporting grounds in the world.
4. The sporting complex offers both indoor and outdoor equestrian training centres, a shooting range, a go-karting circuit, a paintball field and cable ski water sports facility fit for only the best – as seen when Al Forsan hosts the annual WWA World Wakeboard Championships. The cable ski boasts three systems: one smaller counter-clockwise cable for learners, the big clockwise cable – scattered with professionally designed rails, ramps and kickers – and a system 2 for those who wish to practice or learn new tricks.
5. Amidst the whirlwind of fun that is Abu Dhabi, don’t forget about the most obvious activity while popping into the sandpit: a rip-roaring desert safari. Tumble down 30-meter high sand dunes in a Hummer, ride an Arabian camel, sand board, quad bike and finally, enjoy authentic Middle Eastern cuisine sided with olives, flatbread, hummus and dates under a star-studded sky while belly dancers shake what their mamas gave them. Spend the rest of the evening smoking an apple or grape sheesha pipe and appreciating local music before finally collapsing into a luxury Bedouin tent fit for an Arabian princess.
Was there anything we missed from Abu Dhabi? Let us know in the comments below.